Production Restart scheme backs 640 projects

  • News

Gentleman Jack The government’s Film and TV Production Restart Scheme has supported 640 projects in 12 months, with budgets totalling £1.9bn of production investment. 
 

More than 55,000 screen sector jobs have been propped up by the scheme since the cover was announced in late July 2020. 
 

The scheme was backed by £500m to support films and television productions which were ready to start or restart but unable to secure insurance against potential Coronavirus-related delays and interruptions such as illness amongst key cast and crew.   
 

Launched for registrations in October last year, allowing claims backdated to July, the scheme has enabled productions to get off the ground in the second half of 2020 and has helped the sector to bounce back and record the second highest spend (£1.19 billion) for any quarter on record at the end of last year.  
 

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden said: “I've seen firsthand how this scheme has been a lifeline during this pandemic,  keeping the cameras rolling on TV and film sets across the country, and supporting tens of thousands of jobs in the process – from actors, make-up artists and technicians all the way to catering companies and transport firms.
 

“Thanks to this scheme, our screen industry is raring to go -– and British-made productions will be at the heart of our recovery.”


Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, added: “Our world-leading film and TV industry supports hundreds of thousands of jobs – that’s why it was so important we helped it to get up and running again as part of our Plan for Jobs.
 

“It’s great that one year on since its launch the Restart Scheme has given so many productions the confidence to keep shooting, supporting jobs across the UK and producing the film and TV we all love.”
 

Productions registered with the scheme include: The Bay, Midsomer Murders, Peaky Blinders, Gentleman Jack (pictured), Mothering Sunday, Boxing Day and Benediction. A full list is available here; productions which may not yet have been announced but are on board the scheme are not published.
 

BFI chief executive Ben Roberts said: “We make high quality film and television content enjoyed by audiences at home and around the world, demonstrating the skills and expertise of our world-class crew, cast and production businesses.  


“The pandemic brought production to a halt early last year and unable to restart without insurance cover against potential COVID disruption, however the Government’s Film & TV Production Restart Scheme has been a game-changer for the industry’s recovery.


"A year down the line we are looking at a booming sector attracting further commercial investment and opportunities for more jobs and contributing to the UK’s economy.”
 

Gentleman Jack images via BBC. 



Also on The Knowledge

Netflix to lease Longcross Studios

Netflix is significantly increasingly its physical production footprint in the UK with a deal to operate and expand the Longcross Studios complex just outside London with backing from global asset manager Aviva Investors, co-owner of the 380-acre site.

Read More »